Sunday, August 18, 2024

Reaching Broken People

 Are you under threat? Attacks can come from all directions.

I have had to go through many crises in my life: Illness, unemployment, bullying, persecution, financial problems.

I am grateful for the help of my parents and my Christian relatives and friends, but without God's faithfulness I would have been ruined.

I know a very likeable young woman who had no help from her family. As a young girl she had already believed in Jesus, but she went through traumatic experiences and then she was alone.

She worked as a prostitute for years until she finally experienced real Christian love when some Christian women visited the brothel. She is now a faithful Christian.

She told me that she believed in Jesus as a young child, but not that she prayed as a prostitute. But I suspect that she sometimes begged God for help.


Gaby Wentland is a pastor who does missionary work among prostitutes and ex-prostitutes. She said there is more prayer in brothels than in many churches.

I read in the Bible that the Hebrews were enslaved and horribly bullied in Egypt. When God spoke to Moses in the desert, he said that he had heard the desperate prayers of the Hebrews.

Then the LORD told him, “I have certainly seen the oppression of my people in Egypt. I have heard their cries of distress because of their harsh slave drivers. Yes, I am aware of their suffering. Ex 3:7 NLT

When it comes to mind, I often pray for prostitutes.

There are already Christians who help prostitutes and victims of human trafficking. Jesus said that many people are ready to receive God's salvation, but they need help.

Not all Christians can visit brothels or minister in pubs, but some can and should minister in difficult worldly places.

Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is abundant, but the workers are few.
Therefore, pray to the Lord of the harvest to send out workers into his harvest.”
Mt 9:37–38 CSB

We can find broken victims everywhere, in schools, universities, offices, shops in your neighbourhood and on the street. Broken victims often maintain a facade of respectability, but not always.

I know a pastor who was shocked to learn that a seemingly decent woman in his congregation was a stripper in a nightclub.

When I see people who look very sad, impoverished or mentally disturbed, I often pray for them briefly. I believe God will answer many such prayers in an amazing way.

When I see people who look very sad, impoverished or mentally disturbed, I often pray for them briefly. I believe God will answer many such prayers in an amazing way.

Friendly greetings can also be a meaningful encouragement to many people.

(Jesus) said to him, “ ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’

This is the greatest and first commandment.

And a second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbour as yourself.’
Mt 22:37–39 NRSV

No comments:

Post a Comment