Tuesday, May 4, 2021

You are Allowed to Make Mistakes

You are allowed to make mistakes.

When I was a young newly converted Christian, I joined a church where complete surrender was required.

I had dabbled with humanistic religion for a few years. Was that my search for truth or my flight from truth? A good question.

In the Bible, truth, holiness and obedience are strongly emphasised, no question, but you also find in the Bible the God of grace and kindness.

In this church, the presence of the Holy Spirit could be felt and I felt the love of God in a wonderful way. Where people genuinely seek God's presence, God allows his presence to be tangibly experienced.

In the New Testament I see both, the holiness of God and the grace of God. We need both, because there are not two Gods, but only one God. The God of holiness is also the loving God of grace who cares for weak Christians with gentleness.

In this church, preachers demanded extreme obedience. They threatened and intimidated the members. This is not from God.

I was under the impression that the preachers and leaders were holy and faultless, and I was not allowed to make any mistakes either.

Striving for total obedience became torture. I simply could not stand the stress. I was excommunicated, but God did not agree with the preachers' judgement.
I am still alive God blesses me more than ever.

What have I learnt from all this?

  • Obedience is important, but God understands my weaknesses and loves me indispensably.

  • I am allowed to make mistakes.

  • It is dangerous to think of preachers and church leaders as super saints.

  • All Christians make mistakes and all pastors and preachers make mistakes.

  • When I am misunderstood or condemned by preachers, I have a God who understands me completely and does not condemn me.

  • There are many preachers who claim to have a message from God. Sometimes it is true and sometimes it is not.

  • I can learn to hear God's voice, but it is a learning process. I am also allowed to make mistakes.

  • God loves me in spite of everything.

  • He has a good plan for my life, even if other Christians often don't understand that plan. Pastors can also misunderstand God's plans for me.

I have since found good churches and good pastors. God knows how to guide and comfort his children.

"Comfort, comfort my people!" says your God.
“Comfort, yes, comfort my people,” says your God.

“Speak tenderly to Jerusalem and tell her that her sad days are gone. Her sins are pardoned, and I have punished her in full for all her sins.”
Isaiah 40:1–2 The Living Bible


No comments:

Post a Comment