Friday, May 28, 2021

Finding Your Direction with God

What is your goal in life?
Do you have long-term goals, or a calling that is clear and distinct in your mind?

Or is your daily life dominated by duties often imposed on you by others? Without God's wisdom, you will not get far.

Are you at the helm of your life, or is it more like someone who is struggling to row your boat?

But some devout Christians might object that you should never be the helmsman. Jesus is your captain, and you just have to row obediently.

But we are not called to submit like robots or driven slaves.

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Galatians 5:1 NIV84

But this freedom does not mean that you should be self-centred. Such a life is meaningless. You have a high calling to take part in God's wonderful plan.

But how can you know God's plan and God's guidance for your life? We all have the same Bible. It is God's instruction manual.

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, Matthew 28:19 NIV84

But what is my part to play in this mission? What is your role in God's plan?

I was a language teacher and am now retired, but I am still active in God's mission. I read, study, pray and write blogs.

John Wesley and Charles Spurgeon were wonderful preachers. They had the same Bible, but they did mission very differently. John Wesley was an itinerant preacher and Charles Spurgeon was the pastor of a large Baptist church in London.

In a football team, not all are goalkeepers and not all are strikers. Some are also physiotherapists, coaches, bus drivers or managers. A sports club also needs accountants, groundsmen and security staff.

As Christians, we are on God's team. Your coach is not first and foremost your pastor, but Jesus Himself.

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.
John 10:10–11 NIV84

To follow Jesus, we need wisdom from God himself, hour by hour.

If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. James 1:5 NIV84

We all have questions that we can only answer with God's wisdom. These questions are often vital.

  • "How do I see my situation now? Dear God. How do you see my situation now?"

  • "I see on the screen of my mind a scene from my past, a rather clear memory. It suddenly comes to mind, unrelated to my present situation. What does it mean? Do I see a person? How should I pray for that person?"

  • "My brother has been mentally ill for years. How should I pray for him?"


In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. Romans 8:26 NIV84

God has given us his Holy Spirit to help us as a comforter and guide. If we do not have this help, the Bible is only a dry religious textbook for us.


No comments:

Post a Comment