Monday, May 24, 2021

The gut wrenching compassion of Jesus

 Why did Jesus heal every person who asked to be healed? Jesus healed out of deep compassion.

And when Jesus went out He saw a great multitude; and He was moved with compassion for them, and healed their sick. Matthew 14:14 NKJV

How are we to understand Jesus' deep compassion? In the original Greek text the word is ``splagchnisthḗsomai''. 

What does it mean? In a word, gut-wrenching.

The suffering of the sick aroused such compassion in Jesus that his stomach turned.

When I was young I studied German literature at university. In my final year I had to study a drama based on the tortures of victims in the Auschwitz concentration camp. I was so distressed, that for some time after I finished my degree I didn’t want to read German any more.

God is deeply distressed when he sees human suffering, and he wants to do something about it.

Moved with compassion, Jesus touched their eyes; and immediately they regained their sight and followed Him. Matthew 20:34 NASB95

A man with leprosy came and knelt in front of Jesus, begging to be healed. “If you are willing, you can heal me and make me clean,” he said.

Moved with compassion, Jesus reached out and touched him. “I am willing,” he said. “Be healed!”
Instantly the leprosy disappeared, and the man was healed.
Mark 1:40–42 NLT


God is love. Jesus came as the Son of God to reveal God's character.

God never changes.


And you know that God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power. Then Jesus went around doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him. Acts 10:38 NLT

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.
Hebrews 13:8 NLT


If you or someone you love is seriously ill and suffering, Jesus is moved with deep compassion.

Don't be misled by cold theological theories.

Jesus wants to heal you.

No comments:

Post a Comment