Saturday, October 5, 2024

Resurrection Power for You

When Jesus was arrested in the garden, the disciples panicked.

Peter went berserk.

Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest’s servant, cutting off his right ear. (The servant’s name was Malchus.) Jn 18:10 NIV

Then Jesus was arrested, and the apostles fled.

All of them deserted him and fled.
Mk 14:50 NRSV


Peter tried to remain faithful, but he too failed.

Now Simon Peter was standing and warming himself. They asked him, “You are not also one of his disciples, are you?” He denied it and said, “I am not.” Jn 18:25 NRSV

Jesus prepared his disciples very well for this tough test. Nevertheless, they failed.

Jesus had given them wonderful promises.

“Do not let your hearts be troubled. Believe in God, believe also in me.

In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you may be also.
Jn 14:1–3 NRSV

These marvellous promises in the Gospel of John are also for us. Perhaps the Holy Spirit has personally communicated comforting assurances, as he did with the apostles at that time. Nevertheless, you have often failed, and so have I.

Take courage. Jesus visited the apostles after His resurrection. Then He gave them His Holy Spirit and glory.

God transformed them.

Jesus understands that we don't just need Bible knowledge and doctrines. We often need powerful experiences and dramatic visitations because we are weak without God's presence.

Jesus also wants to transform us, you and me. Expect God to do something powerful in your life. Don’t be content with passive conformity to evangelical customs and formulas.

No comments:

Post a Comment