Sunday, April 11, 2021

Comfort in Loneliness

What comforts you in your loneliness?

  • Do you have a friend you can call?

  • Do you have a book that touches your heart? Do you have a favourite song that cheers you up?

  • Do you know a Christmas carol that you can sing with a little joy?

  • Do you have a happy memory that makes you smile?

 Are you overwhelmed by fear and bitterness? Please don't give up!

Maybe you have a neighbour who is also lonely. Can you give some food or groceries to a neighbour who has nothing?

Jesus was also lonely on this earth. He found comfort in the Psalms.

Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in you my soul takes refuge; in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge, till the storms of destruction pass by.

I cry out to God Most High, to God who fulfils his purpose for me.

He will send from heaven and save me; he will put to shame him who tramples on me. Selah God will send out his steadfast love and his faithfulness!
Psalm 57:1–3 ESV

Jesus was fully satisfied in the love of the Father in heaven before creation, but he came to us here to comfort you. 

Here on earth he knew what loneliness was. He exposed himself to loneliness to comfort you in your loneliness.

When Jesus was hanging on the cross, he prayed in despair.

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? ... Psalm 22:2

But in the end he prayed to the Father:

And when Jesus had cried out with a loud voice, He said, “Father, ‘into Your hands I commit My spirit.’ ” Having said this, He breathed His last.
Luke 23:46 NKJV

This is good prayer if you are dying, but you can also pray it if you feel like dying. God raised Jesus from the dead. He wants to raise you up from your depression.

You can surrender your spirit into God's loving hands now. He loves you.

When God lifts you out of the pit of despair, you will know how to comfort others.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort,

who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.
2 Corinthians 1:3–4 ESV
 

No comments:

Post a Comment