Saturday, February 2, 2013

ARE EXTREME MIRACLES FOR TODAY?



When the Hebrews were trapped in the desert by the Egyptian army, God held back the waters of the Red Sea and Moses led a nation of 2 million people to safety. 


  • Some people suggest the water was extremely shallow but it was deep enough to drown the army that tried to pursue them. 

In The Complete Book of Bible Lists, H. L. Willmington lists 36 miracles performed by Jesus before He went to the cross. Many of these are recorded in two or three different Gospel accounts. 

  • When God repeats Himself, He wants you to pay close attention. 

There are many who admit there are many miracles recorded in the Bible but they suggest miracles are not really so important. 

  • Jesus did not think this way at all.

Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. Jn 14:10.

Jesus calls His miracles the works of the Father. 

Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves. Jn 14:11

The Apostle John concludes his Gospel with the same thought.

  Now Jesus did MANY other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; 

  • but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name. John 20:30-31

So what about us? Should we only admire the miracles of Jesus as historical events as some suggest? God forbid!

 Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 

  • If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it. John 14:13-14

This is familiar teaching to anyone who has been to Sunday school. 

  • However, many Christians say they believe this but at the same time attack preachers who emphasise miracles.

The familiar text about answered prayer follows directly after this startling text.

 “Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. Jn 14:12

God’s plan for the followers of Jesus is that we should expect and experience many extreme miracles.

Many protest that this is promoting sensational preachers who want to get rich and glorify themselves. 

  • Sadly this has sometimes happened but the misuse of God’s truth does not make God’s truth untrue.

Jesus warned that believers who misused spiritual gifts for their own selfish gain or glory should not expect even to enter heaven.

Matthew 7:22-23 (ESV)  On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’
  • And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’ 

But that does not mean we should not prophesy or cast out demons?
  • No, but be sure to love God and others. True love produces great faith when you need it.

This world NEEDS extreme miracles.
  • When a young woman is lost and homeless on the streets, her heartbroken parents NEED extreme miracles.
  • When poor people suffer constant agony with rotten teeth, they NEED extreme miracles. 

C Peter Wagner was a conservative Bible teacher who had been taught not to expect extreme miracles but he heard of revivals in South America where people routinely testified they had received gold fillings by the power of God. 

He visited the revival and checked the stories with scientific care. He returned to his Bible school as a confirmed believer in miracles.


  • Has your child disappeared or been taken from you?
  • Have you lost your health, your marriage or your house? 


Believe for extreme miracles!



No comments:

Post a Comment