When the Hebrews were trapped in the desert by the Egyptian army, God held back the waters of the Red Sea and Moses led a nation of 2 million people to safety.
- Some people suggest the water was extremely shallow but it was deep enough to drown the army that tried to pursue them.
In The Complete Book of Bible Lists, H. L. Willmington lists 36 miracles performed by Jesus before He went to the cross. Many of these are recorded in two or three different Gospel accounts.
There are many who admit there are many miracles recorded in the Bible but they suggest miracles are not really so important.
- When God repeats Himself, He wants you to pay close attention.
- Jesus did not think this way at all.
Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. Jn 14:10.Jesus calls His miracles the works of the Father.
Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves. Jn 14:11The Apostle John concludes his Gospel with the same thought.
Now Jesus did MANY other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book;
So what about us? Should we only admire the miracles of Jesus as historical events as some suggest? God forbid!
- but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name. John 20:30-31
Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
- If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it. John 14:13-14
This is familiar teaching to anyone who has been to Sunday school.
The familiar text about answered prayer follows directly after this startling text.
- However, many Christians say they believe this but at the same time attack preachers who emphasise miracles.
“Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. Jn 14:12
God’s plan for the followers of Jesus is that we should expect and experience many extreme miracles.Many protest that this is promoting sensational preachers who want to get rich and glorify themselves.
- Sadly this has sometimes happened but the misuse of God’s truth does not make God’s truth untrue.