Friday, May 10, 2024

We Need the Holy Spirit

I was listening to classical music on the radio this morning. I love this music and the presenter was excellent. 

This presenter was born female, but is a now a man married to a woman. He had surgery and has ongoing male hormone therapy.

When I first heard this presenter, she was a woman, and I later learned, a lesbian. 

When I heard his voice on the radio this morning, my reaction was to pray earnestly for him, for blessing, mercy and salvation.

In the past, I have sometimes enjoyed her (or more recently his) musical commentary and sometimes felt uncomfortable about his or her gender identity, but I did not pray earnestly.
How should we respond to people like this?

Many Christians respond as moral crusaders or culture warriors, but I doubt if this is effective. 

Jesus said: I am the way, the truth and the life. John 14.6

But in John’s gospel, we read that Jesus is full of grace and truth.

From his fullness, we have all received, grace upon grace.

The law indeed was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 
Jn 1:16–17 NRSV


Jesus is the embodiment of truth, but grace comes before truth. Jesus also died for homosexuals and transsexual people.

If I was a pastor and I had to minister to a person like this, how would I respond? I have no idea.

If you think the bible gives you precise instructions about this, I think you need to think again. 

I think we need to prayerfully seek guidance in each situation. Traditional bible based evangelical thinking is just not fit for purpose in these confusing times.

Supposing a Muslim man with two or three wives is converted to faith in Jesus Christ. How would you counsel him and his wives?

We need the direct guidance of the Holy Spirit on how to apply biblical principles.

We also often need to step back, pray, and let the Holy Spirit deal directly with the person we are trying to reach. Only God himself is able to deal with situations like these.

No comments:

Post a Comment