Tuesday, August 14, 2012

JESUS GIVES YOU PEACE AND REST


Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28 

Jesus promised to give you rest. Are you resting enough?

Recently I have been busy. On Friday after work I have been very tired and then I have spent the whole weekend doing good Christian things. Then I have gone to work tired on Monday. 
The Ten Commandments commanded the Jews to rest from work on the seventh day. Some Christians still observe the seventh day and others keep Sunday as holy but whichever day you keep holy, you can be too busy honouring God but not resting.
One of the great Christian leaders of our time is Yonggi Cho, the great Pentecostal church leader in Korea. He experienced a crisis when his wife became very unhappy. He prayed about it and God told him he was not observing the principle of the Sabbath rest. The issue was not over the correct day, whether Saturday or Sunday. The problem was that he was busy in ministry 7 days a week. 
God told him to relax and spend time with his wife on Mondays. When he did that, his wife was happy and his ministry continued to be blessed. 

You may devote most of your weekend to God but are you resting?

Jesus promised to give you rest but YOU cannot enjoy that gift if you do not spend time just resting. Jesus offers rest.

Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." Matthew 11:29-30

For many years I was active in churches until I realised that busy Sundays were a burden and not a blessing. I felt bound by duty to attend Sunday services morning and night. 

Then I was convicted by the Holy Spirit who reminded me that I was not visiting my aging father often enough. Church twice on Sunday was leading me into the sin of not properly honouring my father. 

Now I go to lovely Spirit filled meetings most Friday nights and I go to meetings two or three Sundays a month but Sunday church is not a binding law for me.

Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand. One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. Romans 14:4-5 (ESV) 


And what about your relaxation? Are you really relaxing when you watch TV? So much modern recreation is not rest but restless distraction which subtly takes us away from God. I am not a legalist and I watch funny TV programs quite often but in small doses.
And then there is sleep. Are you tired from lack of sleep? I often am and I am trying to correct that.

It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep. Psalm 127:2 

If you sleep enough and you go to sleep in the presence and the love of God, He will supernaturally bless you in the night in your bed. This is how I have received some of my greatest blessings. 

There are even some people who have dreamed about going on missions to other countries. I was told by a reliable friend that one woman visited China in a dream and later she was sent photographic proof that she had actually travelled there by the power of the Holy Spirit.



No comments:

Post a Comment